giovedì 3 settembre 2009

Beagleboard, AA batteries and "reboot loops"

Some notes about AA batteries and "reboot loop".

In the last months I often powered my Beagleboard C2 using groups of 4 NiMH "AA-size" cheap batteries because I found that they gave no more than 5.1V after charging - that is, under the 5.2V recommended maximum.

When my batteries are low (some 120-180 minutes after booting), the Beagleboard reboots and after a few lines "Texas... Loading... In:Serial..." reboots again and again. Maybe also Juszkiewicz has some power issue (does he have a 5V source capable of only 200-300mA?)

Some days ago I found that some other cheap NiMH batteries ("Dikom 2600"), after full charge, were showing some 1.4V each when not under load.

Since I think I've often powered my Beagleboard with them, I tried them again and read some 5.36-5.4V while under Beagleboard load (ouch!!!!!) well above te 5.2V recommended maximum.

Since then, I always checked no-load voltage before using freshly charged batteries.

My Beagleboard is still -as we say here- a roaring finch (read: "everything still working great": phew!). I was lucky to not to fry my Beagleboard, but I think Gerald will not approve to try to be lucky again... ;)

Nessun commento:

Posta un commento