When it broke, I bought a second N900, saving the first one for backup purposes. And after one year of careful usage, on a Friday late evening it suffered the same fate, meaning that:
I won't ever buy Nokia products again.
|Sala operatoria: pronti per l'intervento sul Nokia N900|
After a bit of googling I decided to put a header in place of the microUSB-receptacle but it was even harder than imagined. The five "pins" of the receptacle are some tiny 0.5mm-spaced drops. I eventually was able to solder D+ and D- cables (photo below), which are needed to use "tethering", that is: charging the phone while you use it as a modem. But -sigh!- a few minutes later I crashed them without hope to restore (they were not meant to resolder). This means I have to forget about tethering.
|La monetina da 0,10€ serve per far capire quanto erano "grandi" e "vicine" le saldature da fare|
Applying +5V to the 5V/GND pads will regularly charge the BL-5J battery because D+ and D- are always shorted.
Opening the N900 was quite easy: four small screws for the screen and two small Torx for the keyboard and keyboard cover. More on that on talk.maemo.org forum.
|Recuperati 5V e GND e "shortati" D+ e D-|
I also switched screen and keyboard (both a bit scratched) with the ones from my first N900, so that my current unit feels somewhat rejuvenated...
|L'orrendo header femmina serve a non far pasticci quando l'N900 è in tasca|